1 ready-made short crust pastry
¾ cup marula kernels
⅓ cup dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey
4 tablespoons thick cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 175 °C. Grease and flour a pie dish/round pan.
- Roll the ready-made pastry onto the pan and cut off the excess dough.
- Toast the marula kernels lightly (10 minutes) and chop about ⅔ of them. Set the rest aside for topping.
- On low heat, melt sugar, honey and vanilla extract.
- Remove from the stove and add the cream, eggs (one at a time) and the chopped nuts.
- Pour into the pan, lay out remaining nuts on top and bake until ready (about 45 minutes).