For 8 people – preparation time: 20 min, baking time: 35 min
- 1 packet short crust pastry (or make your own)
- 4 eggs
- 200 to 250g brown sugar
- 55g butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 300g marula nuts
- Blind bake the short crust pastry (in a tart tin of 26cm diameter) for about 10 minutes at 180°C.
- Mix the eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla and flour.
- Toast the marula nuts (for 10 minutes). This will help remove most of the skins as well.
- Coarsely chop half of the nuts and add them to the mixture. Pour the egg mixture into the pie pan and sprinkle the remaining nuts on top.
- Bake the pie at 200°C for 10 minutes then reduce temperature to 170°C. Continue cooking for 10 to 15 min.