Thanks to Ruvimbo Chidora for this recipe!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ cups chopped onions
- 1¼ cup carrots, sliced into ½ inch rounds
- 1 cup celery
- 6 cloves roasted garlic
- 6½ cups vegetable stock (or chicken)
- 2 ½ cups diced tomatoes
- 1½ tablespoons pesto
- 1cup amaranth grain soaked overnight
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 3 cups roughly chopped amaranth leaves, packed
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a double base pot over medium-high heat.Add the onions and sauté them for 4-5 minutes until they get soft. Add the carrots, celery, and roasted garlic and continue to sauté for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the stock, along with the tomatoes, pesto, amaranth grain, thyme, and oregano, stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to medium and let the amaranth grain cook about 15-20 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Just before serving, add the amaranth leaves and continue to cook for 1 minute or until the amaranth leaves get nice and bright green and wilts down.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm.