From Ruvimbo Chidora
- 20 x 5 inch lasagne sheets
- 6oz steamed pumpkin leaves (muboora)
- ½ tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8oz mixed cheeses (parmesan, cheddar, mozzarella)
- Bolognaise (Ragu) sauce
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 4 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, scraped and finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup stock
- 1 (16-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand, with the juices
- Salt and pepper
- Bechamel Sauce
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion, celery, carrot, and garlic and sweat over medium heat until vegetables are translucent.
- Add meat to the vegetables, brown over high heat, stirring to keep meat from sticking together for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the stock and simmer until almost dry, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer 15 minutes.
- Lower the heat, and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until flavors are developed.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and remove from the heat.
Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- For the sauce
In a medium saucepan, heat butter until melted.
- Add flour and stir until smooth. Over medium heat, cook until light golden brown, about 6 to 7 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat milk in separate pan until just about to boil.
- Add milk to butter mixture 1 cup at a time, whisking continuously until very smooth and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 10 minutes and remove from heat.
- Season with salt and nutmeg and set aside.
Assembling the Lasagna
- In a casserole dish or brownie pan, assemble the lasagne.
- Starting with a layer of ragu, a sprinkling of grated cheeses, a layer of pasta, a layer of bechamel, a layer of muboora and then again a layer of ragu, a sprinkling of grated Parmigiano etc. until all sauce and pasta and muboora are used up.
- The top layer should be pasta with bechamel over it.
- Top the lasagne with grated cheese and bake in the oven until the edges are browned and the sauces are bubbling, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.