Recipe from Cluster Agriculture Development Services
- 100g whole amaranth grain
- ½ cup tangy mayonnaise
- ½ cabbage head, shredded
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 cucumbers, diced small
- Heat a dry pot over medium high heat and add the amaranth grain. Toast the grain, stirring occasionally, until it starts to smell nutty. About 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water to the pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes or until grain is soft. Drain the amaranth in a colander and allow to cool.
- Shred cabbage and carrots into a bowl.
- Dice the cucumber and add to the bowl with the carrots and cabbage.
- Add the tangy mayonnaise to the vegetables and mix thoroughly.
- Add cooled, drained amaranth grain to the bowl and mix to combine.
- Place the salad in the refrigerator and until cold. Serve chilled.