Thanks to Hesbe Chivers for this recipe
- 1 cup chimera flour (malted sorghum or millet flour)
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mahewu (plus ½ cup if needed)
- ½ teaspoon bicarb of soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Oil for frying
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Whisk together the egg and mahewu then add 1 cup of this mixture to the dry ingredients. Stir to combine, adding more mahewu as needed to achieve a soft dough texture, easy to drop into the oil.
- Drop spoonfuls of the dough onto a hot oiled pan. When bubbles appear on the surface of the dough, turn and continue cooking on the other side.
- Serve the puffs hot, topped with hodzeko, honey and toasted marula nuts.