Rupiza is a paste made from crushed cowpeas. Sometimes they are roasted before crushing and may be cooked with or without peanut butter.
- 3 cups cowpeas, peanut butter, salt, water
- Clean the cowpeas and roast them in a pan.
- Remove the hulls by grinding and winnowing.
- Crush the de-hulled seed on a grinding stone until broken into small pieces.
- Boil the ground cowpeas until cooked.
- Add salt to taste.
- Stir the rupiza until a fine paste is formed.
- Add a little water and peanut butter.
- Leave the paste to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Season and serve hot with brown rice or finger millet rotis.